Data Collection Output Files
Where are output files
There will be an output
folder from where you run you pssdiag package.
If you plan to use the data for SQL Nexus
, all you need to do is to point
to the output folder.
will figure out what to do with each file.
- .trc: profiler trace file
- .blg: perfmon capture
- .out: these are output file from TSQL Script run.
- .mdmp: userdump from SQL Server process
- .reg: registry export
File naming conventions
A file can contain serveral things including machine name, SQL Server instance name, startup or shutdown key words.
Generally it's in format <machine name>_<instance name>_<data collector name>_startup(or shutdown)
- Server1_KJ64BIT_SQL_2008_Perf_Stats_Startup.OUT means that the data was collected from Server1, SQL Server instance KJ64bit. The data came from collector SQL_2008_Perf_stats. The collector was started from the beginning.
- Server1_KJ64BIT_SQL_2008_Perf_Stats_Snapshot_Shutdown.OUT means that the data was collected from server1, SQL Server instance KJ64bit. The data came from collector SQL_2008_Perf_Stats_Snapshot. It was started at end of the data collection.
For 2005, in the output
folder, there are files beginning ##. These are internal files.
For 2008 and 2008 R2, there will be an internal
subfolder within the output
folder. All the files are internal files.